Brad Nicholson bnichols at ca.afilias.info
Thu Oct 2 08:25:26 PDT 2008
On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 11:18 -0400, Bill Moran wrote:

> > > Before I issue a GRANT to allow select rights on that table to anyone
> > > who tries, my questions are:
> > > * Is there any inherent danger in allowing SELECT on that table to
> > >  normal users?
> > > * Is there a better way (I looked for a store procedure, such as
> > >  getlocalnodeid(), but if it exists, I'm not seeing it in the docs)
> >
> > Can't you define a function that does that query and returns
> > true/false as necessary, and is declared as SECURITY DEFINER so that
> > it runs with sufficient privileges?
>
> That's what I'm doing ;)
>
> What I'm wondering now is if such a function doesn't really belong in
> the core of Slony's built in functions?

I vote yes for a function that says "am I the origin of set x".

As for putting in as a SECURITY DEFINER function, I vote no.  Even
though I don't think that piece of  data is overly sensitive, Slony
shouldn't make the decision to expose it to an unprivileged user -
that's a decision for the DBA to make.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106