Jennifer Spencer jennifer.spencer at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 18 13:28:40 PDT 2008
Hi All -
I am new to Slony-1.  I have searched the archives for the last six months and haven't seen anything
about this topic, so I am going to ask.

First question: from what I can tell so far, Slony-1 log shipping only uses the Plain Text format for
its shipped logs.  True or false?  If false, how do I specify binary or any other format?  Or is plain
text my only option?  My psql on ingest (at the other node) really doesn't like the "/"s it encounters
in the plain text log.  Must I parse my log first to remove those, or what?

Second, we are setting up Slony-1 log shipping from our shop to a few others.  Application is a
science mission in the Physics Lab.  A lot of our data, essential for science, is stored as "double".
  We need to be able to log ship that science data.  If we must use plain text to log ship, what kind
of accuracy can we expect for data type 'double', or 64 bit floating point numbers contained in that log?

Thank you for any answers,
Jennifer Spencer