Jeff Davis pgsql at j-davis.com
Wed Jun 11 13:58:50 PDT 2008
On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 16:14 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> I definitely seem some issues with encoding, and from what I see,
> there's database and client encoding.  The database encoding is
> different, but I've not figured out where that is configured, assuming
> it should be in the postgresql.conf file somewhere.  It appears that the
> client_encoding is different as well, although I would have expected
> that to have been taken care when the databases were built.  I have
> explicitly set the client_encoding in the postgresql.conf file, but
> haven't found where to set the database encoding.

The database encoding can only be set at initdb time. Client_encoding is
only used to be able to convert from one encoding to another, assuming
that some conversion exists. You might be able to get it working by
setting the client encoding to something like iso-8859-1.

The PostgreSQL manual has more details.

Regards,
	Jeff Davis