chris chris at dba2.int.libertyrms.com
Wed Jul 2 09:24:16 PDT 2008
Csaba Nagy <nagy at ecircle-ag.com> writes:
> On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 09:44 -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>> One other thing: if you really understand the bare metal functions Slony is
>> using, there actually _is_ a way to do this for just one table.
>
> If there would be a slony script to add columns to just 1 table
> reliably, and do all the necessary things transparently to the user, I
> would argue that 90% of the use cases of EXECUTE SCRIPT would be
> covered. Is that a scenario which can be covered reliably with a script
> and only minimal locking involved ?

At one point, I proposed such a feature; essentially, to add a slonik
command that would look something like:

   alter table (table id=14, alteration='add column foo integer', event node=4);

The idea wasn't accepted, but I'm still not convinced it wouldn't be
worthwhile, for the reasons you observe.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "linuxfinances.info")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/