Quinn Jones quinn_jones at pobox.com
Fri Jul 18 12:16:34 PDT 2008
The only errors I saw were the on-screen errors, which came after a lengthy
time-out.  There wasn't anything in the log besides a long string of
time-out errors.

Before I get any further and someone wants to know, we're running slony
1.2.11 and Postgres 8.2.7 on all nodes.

Here's the command I ran to failover:
cluster name =3D mycluster;
 node 1 admin conninfo=3D'host=3D10.0.0.1 dbname=3Dmydb user=3Dmyuser port=
=3D1234;
 node 2 admin conninfo=3D'host=3D10.0.0.2 dbname=3Dmydb user=3Dmyuser port=
=3D1234;
 node 3 admin conninfo=3D'host=3D10.1.0.1 dbname=3Dmydb user=3Dmyuser port=
=3D1234;
 node 4 admin conninfo=3D'host=3D10.2.0.1 dbname=3Dmydb user=3Dmyuser port=
=3D1234;
  try {
      failover (id =3D 1, backup node =3D 3);
  } on error {
      echo 'Failure to fail node 1 over to 3';
      exit 1;
  }
  echo 'Replication sets originating on 1 failed over to 3';

I'm not sure you understand the question, though, so I'll re-phrase.  I
wasn't trying to join anything.  My master node, and one slave, were
offline.  I wanted to failover to a different slave in the cluster, but the
failover command timed out with the message 'could not connect to server:
Connection timed out.  Is the server running on host "x.x.x.x" and accepting
TCP/IP connections on port 5432?', where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the
offline slave.

I also tried dropping the downed slave, hoping to side-step the error in
failover, so I ran this:
...same preamble...
  try {
      drop node (id =3D 2, event node =3D 1);
  } on error {
      echo 'Failed to drop node 2 from cluster';
      exit 1;
  }
  echo 'dropped node 2 cluster';

>From where I sit, it looks like slony didn't want to failover without
notifying all of the slaves, which couldn't happen so it quit instead.

Quinn