Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Wed Jan 9 11:27:21 PST 2008
Glyn Astill <glynastill at yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> Actually.. How do I run strace from with my start script?
>

> I'm basically doing:
>
> prefix=/usr/local/pgsql
> PGDATA="/data/postgres"
> PGUSER="slony"
> SLONLOG="$PGDATA/slon.log"
> SLONCONF="-f $PGDATA/slon.conf"
> SLONPID=="$PGDATA/slon.pid"
> PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
> DAEMON="$prefix/bin/slon"
>
> start-stop-daemon --start --verbose --pidfile $SLONPID --chuid
> $PGUSER --exec $DAEMON -- $SLONCONF

Actually, I think I now see the problem, at least partly.

I expect that "start-stop-daemon" isn't invoking slon the way it
expects to be invoked.

start-stop-daemon is presumably a function with a bunch of parameters
which then assembles a command line to use to invoke a daemon program.

I'll bet that it *isn't* assembling something looking like:

   /usr/local/pgsql/bin/slon -f /data/postgres/slon.conf

I don't know what it *is* building, but I can only assume that it's
NOT that (and I'm pretty sure I'm right ;-)).

It may be assembling something like:

   /usr/local/pgsql/bin/slon -- -f /data/postgres/slon.conf

(though that is simply a wild guess)

I haven't tried to "seriously daemonize" the slon; it *isn't* a daemon
in the sense of automatically throwing itself into the background, so
I haven't tried to use tools that expect to work with true daemons.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
Why are men like blenders?