Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Wed Jan 9 07:56:00 PST 2008
Glyn Astill <glynastill at yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> Until now I've been starting the slon daemon from the command line,
> and now I wan't to move it to a startup script. Looking over things I
> see I'm probably going to be best using a slon.conf file now as well.
> this leaves me with a few questions.
>
> 1) I don't see any parameter in the slon.conf to set where my logs
> go. Is this possible or do I just have to pipe the output to a file
> like I'm already doing?

slon makes no attempt to redirect output; you capture it as you like.

> 2) further to the above, can slony rotate it's logs automatically?
> I.e. so I can have a new log file every day?

There are numerous tools for this purpose that are generic to all
kinds of log files; no point in having Slony-I duplicate this kind of
functionality.

> 3) I've had a look athe the supplied script for redhat, although I'm
> using Debian so theres going to be a few differences. One of these is
> that I've been stopping the slons with "kill <processid>", the redhat
> script uses "killproc slon". How can I kill the slon in my script?
> read the .pid file?

Yes, that's the reason for capturing the PID in that file.

> 4)I've jsut discovered the altperl scripts in the docs, and they look
> really useful. The docs say to run configure with "--with-perltools"
> before compiling and they'll get installed. I didn't do this. can I
> install the altperl scripts without a recompile?

You'll need to rerun "configure", but that doesn't force you to do a
recompile of anything in /src/...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxfinances.info/info/sgml.html