Matt Magoffin postgresql.org at msqr.us
Sun Feb 24 17:19:51 PST 2008
Hello,

I'm trying to plan out a migration from Postgres 8.1 to Postgres 8.3. We
currently use Slony to replicate our database, and I understand we should
be able to replicate from 8.1 into 8.3 as long as we have the same version
of Slony installed in both databases.

In 8.1 I have a table that uses a text column to store XML data, and in
8.3 we plan to turn that into an xml type column. I can migrate that data
using pg_dump and pg_restore with the --data-only option.

I was wondering if I could just set up replication between the 8.1
database and 8.3 database, and have the data replicated directly from the
text column in 8.1 into the xml column in 8.3.

-- m@