Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Feb 19 15:57:20 PST 2008
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 04:07:52PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
>> We have come to the conclusion that our replication data is useless, so
>> we are going to drop the replication databases and revisit this from
>> scratch.
>
> The big puzzle is how it got that way.  If you have anything like a history
> of things done on these systems, and are willing to share the schema and its
> history for debugging purposes, I'd be very interested in seeing it (and I
> bet others would be too).

Yes, the big puzzle is terribly bothersome.  Particularly if once we
re-replicate, we don't see the problem again.  I really want to know
what caused the problem and therefore, how to avoid it in the future.

The production environment is a logistics tracking system.  There are 12
separate databases running on 12 different ports, and therefore, 12
different postmasters.  There is one 'master' database where data is
archived to from the other 11 databases once a load is complete.

I am certainly willing to share more info with anyone who might be
interested in this issue.

I don't know that I can share the schema, as it's likely considered
proprietary.  I'll check though.

We did have some bizarre errors last Friday following initial
replication of our databases.  The errors were generated by a process
that communicates with all the databases and shuffles some data around.
    Researching the error, I found references to problems with temp
tables, although I'm told that this process does not use temp tables.

Apparently there were 100's of these errors generated, yet, when
researching the production data, it does not appear that there was any
corruption.  Here is the text of one of the errors:

relation with OID 394006 does not exist

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin