Troy Wolf troy at troywolf.com
Mon Dec 1 18:54:38 PST 2008
Thanks for the reply, Jan!

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Jan Wieck <JanWieck at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, it certainly is a bug that it continues to generate logs ... we will
> see to fix it and stop it from creating useless files.

So you confirm the 14.2 documentation is incorrect. That part will be
easy to fix at least! :)

> The reason is the same as for not being able to create such a setup in the
> first place. Log shipping is implemented as a byproduct of the normal
> replication process done by a subscriber. That includes keeping track of
> what has been replicated thus far.

I say this with limited knowledge of how Slony works under the hood,
but it seems obvious that the Slony origin knows about all the changes
because it communicates them to the subscriber, right? In any case,
yes, the ability to generate log files directly from the origin would
be useful to people I think.

Can you speak to Slony II and it's Log Shipping capabilities? Is Log
Shipping improved, enhanced, or otherwise in version 2?