Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Thu Aug 28 09:03:19 PDT 2008
Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com> writes:

> Considering doing partitioning/table inheritance on a master/slave Db
> replicated by slony.
>
> I'm not sure how it handles the table inheritance.
> Do I need to manually add the tables to be inherited? what about
> removing it from inheritance?
> Is there an automated way?
>
> Can anyone shed some light into how slony deals with this?

There is a test in the test suite that uses inheritance-based partitioning:
  http://main.slony.info/viewcvs/viewvc.cgi/slony1-engine/tests/testpartition/?pathrev=REL_1_2_STABLE

It sets up 3 monthly partitions, and adds them to replication.

There are stored procedures in version 1.2 for this:

  add_empty_table_to_replication()
    which adds an empty table to a replication set (this is a general "tool")
  replicate_partition()
    which uses the above function to replicate an inherited partition, validating
    that it is a child of a replicated parent table

You can run replicate_partition() (passing in the appropriate
parameters) in a Slonik script; this will add a fresh, empty partition
to replication, in the same replication set as its parent.
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/x.html