Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Wed Aug 27 09:38:39 PDT 2008
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 02:37:51PM +0800, Phoenix Kiula wrote:

> But where can I find instructions to update 8.2.x without downtime?

With _no_ downtime?  You can't.  You have to restart the server in
order to change the binary.  But you can do it with minimal downtime:
install the new binaries, then restart (not just reload) Postgres.
This is how the Debian (and RPM-based, IIRC) packages do it, actually.

There's no need to dump and restore or anything.  (The release notes
will tell you if you need a pg_dump, BTW.  I'm not sure how clear the
manuals are on this topic, if you're new to Postgres.)

This is now off-topic for slony, so if you need continued help on this
particular topic, please ask on the pgsql-general or pgsql-admin list
(and not both, please).

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104