Mark Steben msteben at autorevenue.com
Thu Aug 21 13:29:04 PDT 2008
Looking for advice on how to proceed.  We are running Postgres 8.2.5 in Lee,
Massachusetts.  We will be installing same in Norfolk Virginia in the not
too distant future.  Our need is to replicate roughly 60 - 70 percent
Of our 80 GB database in Lee over a WAN to Norfolk for reporting purposes.
In reading 'Slony-1 Best Practices' on the Website I came across the
following statement:

  slon processes should run in the same "network context" as the node that
each is responsible for managing so that the connection to that node is a
"local" one.
     Do not run such links across a WAN.

Does this still hold true?  If not I would like to hear experiences of
anyone engaging in a 'Slony-1 long distance relationship'
Any other alternatives to consider?  I do run Slony-1.2.14 in development
with everything encompassed in Lee.  However
we will be opening another office 35 miles west in West Springfield that I
will be operating out of.  I plan on employing Slony-1
To provide replication between these 2 'not so long distance' locations.

Any comments welcome.  Thanks

Mark Steben│Database Administrator│ @utoRevenueT
480 Pleasant Street, Suite B200, Lee, MA 01238
413-243-4800 x1512 (Phone) │ 413-243-4809 (Fax)
A Division of Dominion Enterprises