Shahaf Abileah shahaf at redfin.com
Tue Aug 5 10:41:25 PDT 2008
I ended up using a different approach...

1. I created a table called replication_heartbeat that has two columns:
id, last_modified
2. I added this table to the replication set
3. I pre-populated a single row into this table
4. I set up a cron job on the master that executes the following query
once a minute: update replication_heartbeat set last_modified=now()
5. I created Nagios alerts on both the master and the slaves that checks
this date.  On the master if the date goes stale then I know that
something is wrong with the update command in cron.  On the slaves if
the date is stale then I know something is wrong with replication.

It's a poor man's approach and it's probably silly to do all this work
when there's a built-in mechanism.  The main advantage is that it's dead
simple to understand.

--S