Mikko Partio mpartio at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 21:15:31 PDT 2007
On 9/26/07, Craig James <craig_james at emolecules.com> wrote:

> We maintain a database that is only updated once per week on a scheduled
> basis, and it has a backup copy running on a separate server.  I'd like to
> use Slony to keep these two in sync.
>
> Question 1: Since the updates are scheduled, is there any reason to run
> slon the rest of the week?  I'd like to start slon, do the update, wait f=
or
> the slaves to be updated, and then shut off slon.

Sure.

Question 2: How do I know for certain that the slaves are 100% synchronized
> with the master, so that I can shut off slon?

Check view sl_status, if st_lag_num_events is close to zero you are probably
synchronized.

Question 3: Can I do the update on the master, wait for it to finish, THEN
> start the slon daemons to sync the slave database?

Sure but why? It seems to me that if you have only one large update per week
it would be easier just to pg_dump the database to the standby location
after the update. Unless your database is very large?

Regards

Mikko