Marko Kreen markokr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 01:43:28 PDT 2007
On 9/24/07, Jan Wieck <JanWieck at yahoo.com> wrote:
> For Slony-I specifically, we are currently developing version 2.0. This
> version will not be backwards compatible to any Postgres version before
> 8.3 because it makes use of the pg_trigger and pg_rewrite changes that
> happened there. This is required because the system catalog mucking done
> in earlier Slony versions had caused endless pain. However, the benefits
> of any kind of "commit ID" that might be coming in 8.4 will not warrant
> such backwards incompatibility again. So I doubt that Slony-I would make
> use of such feature any sooner than when we drop support for 8.3
> somewhere in the distant future.

To clarify the topic - the txid module in Skytools is 8byte,
non-wrapping version of xxid module in SlonyI.  Upper 4 bytes
are filled with the 'wraparound epoch' which is already in core.

First question - Are you interested in common module for this?
Eg, if it would be available in core, would you convert SlonyI 3.0
over to it?  Or, if it had been included in 8.3, would you convert
Slony 2.0 over to it?

Basically I ask this because if you say "no, never", the code
quite likely won't get accepted into core.

Secondly, if you _are_ interested, maybe we can agree what the
common module will look like and ship with both SlonyI 2.0 and
Skytools?  Then the Slony 2.0 could come prepared for it? You
can then drop it whenever you drop support for 8.3.

Ofcourse this depends on schedules you have set for yourselves
and there is no problem if you say no to that idea.

--
marko