Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Sun Sep 9 20:06:06 PDT 2007
On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 10:54 +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
> >From the docs:
> cases where Slony-I probably won't work out well would include:
>
>       * Sites where connectivity is really "flakey"
>
>       * Replication to nodes that are unpredictably connected.
>
> How flakey/unpredictably connected can nodes be before it all goes
> haywire?  Is it time critical, or load critical?  If an origin node goes
> offline for a day, but there are only a couple of transactions, will
> that be a problem?  If an origin node goes offline for a few minutes but
> there are hundreds of transactions, what's the recovery scenario look
> like?

As a follow up, I noticed a post a week ago or thereabouts I think it
was that mentioned bouncing nodes between standard replication and
updating by log shipping, but it wasn't currently a viable solution.  Is
this likely to ever become a viable solution, as it would solve the
problem of unpredictable network links (at least for some use cases)?

Regards,
Tim Bowden