Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Wed Oct 31 11:13:29 PDT 2007
On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 01:57:59PM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:

> So my question is, is it necessary to compile Slony and/or Postgres for
> this environment?  We are running Postgresql 7.4.18 on Red Hat AS 4.  It
> would be a lot easier if I didn't have to compile Postgresql.

You shouldn't need to compile PostgreSQL.  You might want to have the
-dev package installed wherever you are going to make your Slony
packages.  Devrim provides RPMs (I think what he's actually supplying
in source RPMs, which you then make into binaries for your system).
He'll probably respond to this, because I know he catches mail when
it has "RPM" in it.

> Also, I don't see a reference to how I 'prime' the slave.  That is, is
> there an easy way to get the existing historical data from my master
> machine to the slave?  Will Slony replicate everything at the time it is
> configured and started?

Yes.  Just copy the schema to the replica.  Don't bother copying all
the data, because it'll all be truncated and re-copied when you
subscribe.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Users never remark, "Wow, this software may be buggy and hard
to use, but at least there is a lot of code underneath."
		--Damien Katz