David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 17:22:22 PDT 2007
On 10/20/07, JP Fletcher <jpfletch at ca.afilias.info> wrote:
> When we do this sort of thing, we bring down both old and new
> postmasters, swap the ports, then restart.  Then we reshape sl_path with
> slonik STORE PATH commands.  And we wait to drop the old node until
> later.

Thanks, that's the type of hint I was looking for. Anyway, for the
archives, here's how I migrated the server.

Brief setup overview again:

Node 1: "master server" on server1 at 5432
Node 2: "slave server" on server2 at 5432
Node 3: "slave server" on server2 at 5433

Goal is to drop node 2 and move node 3 to node 2's port.

1. Stop slon daemons
2. Update node 3 configuration files (postgresql.conf, slon conf
files, etc) to reflect new node 3 port.
3. Restart node 3 postgresql on new port
4. Drop node 2
5. Execute slonik store path command to update path.
6. Start slon daemons
7. Check that everything looks OK.

-Dave