Henry - Zen Search SA henry at zen.co.za
Thu Oct 18 06:55:05 PDT 2007
On Thu, October 18, 2007 1:53 pm, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>> I think slony needs *another* layer on top of slonik - so much of it is
>> hit and miss.
>
> . . .slonik was intended to be a bootstrapping user interface, and
> Jan always hoped someone would make a _nice_ UI for Slony.  I gather
> that (mumble pgadmin?) has done some work in that direction.

btw, don't get me wrong, I think I slony is excellent - it belongs in the
same elite category of open source systems (think apache, mysql, pg, php,
perl, linux, etc) which, despite their horrendous complexity, work well.

I gave pgadmin a try (thinking it would ease the learning curve a bit and
just get me going) a few weeks ago when I first decided to give slony a
try.  For slony support, it's not quite there yet (only for creating an
initial set and adding another node, I think - but even with this it seems
a bit beta).

...but to further your mumble, after slogging through the slony init stuff
(and ending up with nice parameterized scripts to automate slony setup for
existing DBs [the next time I need it]), I suppose this is what open
source depends on:  folks having a FAT irritable groan about some rough
edges/whatever and deciding to give that itch an almighty scratch.

Just wish there were more hours in the day, dammit.