Andrew Hammond andrew.george.hammond at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 11:26:21 PDT 2007
On 10/10/07, Martin Eriksson <m.eriksson at albourne.com> wrote:

> so we keep track of db changes and once release come we just use the
> slonik_execute_script with our update script. This release we modified
> public functions. (droping, modifying, creating)
>
> and looks like slonik statement parser cant handle it.. just get:
> DDL Statement failed - PGRES_FATAL_ERROR
> when the all the update file contain is
> "drop function my_function(integer,integer);
>
> using Slony 1.2.11 and postgres 8.2.4
>
> I assume this a bug, and being worked on any suggestions for a work
> around?

Did you test your execute script with psql doing something like

BEGIN;
\i my_ddl_script.sql
ROLLBACK;

And yes, the technique mentioned in the workaround below will work just
fine. In fact, unless you have some reason to believe that your script must
absolutely be kept in sync, then simply running the DDL changes without
taking the cluster off-line shouldn't be a problem. You will obviously need
to co-ordinate these changes with your application, but that's just as
obviously out of scope for a slony mailing list. :)

Andrew