Menno Spaans slony at someones.net
Thu Oct 4 05:24:06 PDT 2007
On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 12:04:45PM +0100, Filip Rembia??kowski wrote:

HI Filip,

Thanks for you're response.

> 2007/10/4, Menno Spaans <slony at someones.net>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to build a setup in which I have 2 hosts (nodes), which
> > both have a master and a slave database. The idea is that they cross
> > replicate to each other. See the ascii graph below:
> >
> >   +--------------------+            +--------------------+
> >   |                    |            |                    |
> >   |  +--------------+  | cl_1.set1? |  +--------------+  |
> >   |  | slo_mas_db_1 |--|------------|->| slo_sla_db_1 |  |
> >   |  +--------------+  |            |  +--------------+  |
> >   |  | table1       |  |            |  | table1       |  |
> >   |  | table2       |  |            |  | table2       |  |
> >   |  +--------------+  |            |  +--------------+  |
> >   |                    |            |                    |
> >   |  +--------------+  | cl_2.set1? |  +--------------+  |
> >   |  | slo_sla_db_2 |<-|------------|--| slo_mas_db_2 |  |
> >   |  +--------------+  |            |  +--------------+  |
> >   |  | table1       |  |            |  | table1       |  |
> >   |  | table2       |  |            |  | table2       |  |
> >   |  +--------------+  |            |  +--------------+  |
> >   |                    |            |                    |
> >   |      Host 1        |            |      Host 2        |
> >   +--------------------+            +--------------------+
> >

> > I'm using slony version 1.2.9 with postgres 8.1.
> > The first replication set works like a charm, but I can get slony to do
> > the second replication set.
>
> Why? what's the problem? maybe you did not run slon daemons for the
> second cluster?

I'm using the watchdog script for this, but indeed it seems only one set
of slony deamons is running. I need more coffee apparently.

I shall check my configuration and start the deamon by hand to see if
that brings up both cluster's/replication set's.

> > I'm completely new to slony, so if I missed something in the
> > documentation about this please point me to right place.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if I'm trying something which simply isn't
> > possible or that I'm overlooking something.
> >

> It is possible.

Thanks, I'll continue with this. I was afraid I was trying something
which couldn't work.

> You should consider if you really need four databases an two clusters.
> Maybe you need just two databases, two replication sets in one slony
> cluster, with data flowing in opposite directions.

Yes, the application for which we are using this setup needs a specific
set of tables so I can't put those in the same database because of name
collision.

--
 Greetings,
   Menno Spaans