Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 26 17:23:53 PST 2007
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Jacques Caron wrote:

> One thing that would actually add more complexity, but would probably be
> quite useful: add options to EXECUTE SCRIPT to only lock (and
> un-trigger/re-trigger) specific tables (i.e. the ones that are actually
> affected, but manually specified in the options of EXECUTE SCRIPT). No sense
> locking everybody, removing and restoring trigger all over the place, if you
> only change one table with no side effects (no constraints, triggers, etc.).

I had submitted patches for this against the CVS HEAD about 11 months ago
http://lists.slony.info/pipermail/slony1-general/2006-December/005537.html
including documentation updates.  It was eventually declined because with
8.3 it won't be needed. I doubt it would be hard for you to merge these
into the current 1.2 branch for your own build but I'm in the school that
frowns on adding new features in updates that only effect the third version
number (ie 1.2.12 to 1.2.13).

I'm not sure what other features are sitting on CVS head, maybe in
retrospect a 1.3 release that supported pre 8.3 back-ends would have been
useful 6 months ago.  Now that 8.3 is almost out the door I don't think
that's an efficient use of time.  I suspect most sites that are prepared to
upgrade to a slony 1.3 would also be prepared to upgrade the back-end to 8.3
(upgrade adverse sites won't take either)

Steve