postgres at dac.e4ward.com postgres at dac.e4ward.com
Thu Nov 22 11:08:54 PST 2007
Hi all.

I have the following network of servers:

* 2 load balanced application servers
* 1 MASTER node server running PostgreSQL 8.1.10 with Slony 1.2.12
* 1 SLAVE node server running PostgreSQL 8.1.10 with Slony 1.2.12
* I'm using the altperl admin scripts.

My concerns:

* Both slon daemons are running from the master postgres server. I
know I can run each slon from it's own server. What do you think it
would be the best approach to achieve fast failover? I suppose running
each slon on it's own maintained node.

* I need to be able to execute the admin scripts (altperls' and
slonik) from at least one of the application servers. Specially
slony_execute_script to update the schema regularly. Problem is
neither postgres or slony is installed there. Can I install slony
there without installing postgres? What would you suggest? Right now I
think my only possibility would be to execute slonik remotely from the
app server via ssh. But I'd REALLY prefer to avoid it.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give me. I've read a lot from the
documentation, but it seems slonik is always suposed to be installed
and run from the same server where postgres is installed.

Thanks.
--
Diego Algorta Casamayou
http://www.oboxodo.com - http://diego.algorta.net