Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Wed Nov 21 09:38:24 PST 2007
On Nov 21, 2007, at 2:53 AM, Stéphane A. Schildknecht wrote:

> I'm afraid you're facing a real limitation of the actual versions. You
> have to let the first synchronisation begin with an empty slave
> database.

True, but if you create your replication table by table, the pain of
the copy is reduced.

Basically, you create your set with some small set of tables.  Start
replication.  Then add a few more tables to another set, start that
replicating. Once done, merge sets.  Later rinse repeat until you're
done with all tables and have one set left.

This will of course be difficult if you need to add additional
replicas... :-(

What I usually do is drop all indexes on the replica (except PK's) and
add them later once the initial copy is done.  You don't need to use
slony's execute script methods to add/delete indexes.