Robert Landrum rlandrum at aol.net
Wed Nov 21 08:13:04 PST 2007
Robert Landrum wrote:
> I'm working with a very large database.  300 tables and about 350
> sequences.  Dumped, it's about 8GB of data.
>
> I've read several posts that seem to indicate that I need to let slony
> sync my data between the master and the slave when I subscribe the slave
> to the master.  I would prefer to avoid this, as it'll take quite a
> while for the sync to take place.  After about 2 hours and 30 minutes,
> I'm only about 5% complete.

As it turns out, this was caused by just some very large tables that
appeared early in the set.  The total sync time was right around 4.5
hours, which is about 3 times longer than it takes to load a fresh dump
of the database.  That shouldn't be a problem...  :)

Now I've run into another mystery...

After the sync, one of our tables was missing 5 records.  The master had
453359 records, and the slave had 453354.  I identified the 5 missing
records, and there was nothing special or weird about them.  The records
haven't been changed since 2003.  As of this morning, the two tables
contain the same number of records.

Neither the master or the slave are taking traffic.  Both database were
set up specifically to test slony.  After having read the documentation,
I can think of no reason why the table in question would be missing 5
records immediately after the initial sync.  :(

I'm running PG 8.2.4 and slony 1.2.10.

Rob