Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Thu Nov 15 19:14:45 PST 2007
"Lukas" <lukas at fmf.vtu.lt> writes:
> Hello, and thanks for answer,
>

>>> on Gentoo Linux,
>
>> I don't know how you decided on Gentoo as a platform for your database. It
>> strikes me as a stupid choice.
>
> In two sentences, why?

I daresay I don't understand what Gentoo is supposed to actually be
good for.

At one time, it seemed to be a version of Linux intended for use by
people with some sort of "micro-optimization via GCC flags" fetish.
Alas, the "Gentoo is for Ricers" web page has been taken down :-(.

Absent of that, I don't grasp what the strength is supposed to be.

In the absence of clear control over precisely what is being compiled,
it seems like not quite the stablest kind of platform to me; absent of
the "microoptimization" thing, I don't know what the benefits are
supposed to be.

>>> DB is replicated with Slon version 1.2.0.
>> Once again, bad idea. For new clusters, you should always use the latest
>> stable release, currently that is 1.2.12.
>
> Yes, I agree. One question: can I use different slon versions on different
> nodes in one replica?

No, you cannot.

All nodes in the cluster MUST use the same version of Slony-I at all
times.  Any mismatch will cause the slon to fall over.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "linuxfinances.info")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/unix.html