Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Fri Jun 22 11:29:13 PDT 2007

> When you create a cluster, it appears that "Node 1" is special

It isn't.  Sure seems that way, though, doesn't it.  We went round and
round with this.  One thing that creates this illusion is the fact that
many commands assume that node 1 is the master if you don't specify
otherwise.

> -- there
> doesn't seem to be a "store node 1" command to create "node 1" in the
> first place, whereas for subsequent nodes, you have to issue "store node
> N".  Now, suppose node 1 happens to crash and burn, and I use "failover"
> to make Node 2 the master.  Questions:

The first node has an implied "store node" so that command isn't explicitly
used.  You can make the first node be any valid # though.

> Does Node 2 stay node 2, or does it become node 1?  (I'm pretty sure
> it stays node 2, but I want to be certain).

Node #s never change.

> If I get node 1's server back online, discard its database, and recreate
> the schema, can I use add it to the cluster as "node 1" again, or do I
> need to pick a different node number?

AFAIK, as long as you've dropped that node from all other nodes, you can
add it back in with the same #.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.