Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Tue Jun 19 13:44:11 PDT 2007
Aside: Good news!  Jan committed a change to log shipping code that is
successfully handling my (fairly pathological!) test case in
tests/testlogship.  So I'm running regression tests of the 1.2 branch
against the various supported PostgreSQL versions in preparation for
letting out a pre-1.2.10-#2 tarball, preparatory to letting 1.2.10 out
into the wild hopefully later this week.

I have run thru all the tests on PG 8.3 (beta), and am currently
working on 7.4...

But I'm now realizing that these tests don't collect results in any
particularly easily, well, collectible fashion.

I'm thinking that the Right Answer is probably to add some functions
to tests/support_funcs.sh that collect data about each test and then
stow it [somewhere].  I figure I'd better do some brainstorming as to
what data we ought to look for, and perhaps how we ought to collect
it.

Things we obviously need to capture:

- when did the test run?  (grab UNIX timestamp - `date`)
- what version of Slony-I?  (select version info)
- what version of PostgreSQL?  (select version info)
- what platform?  (grab `uname` and `uname -a` to get less and more detail)
- which test?
- test start time, end time (`date` captured twice)
- user info (whoami)
- probably ought to do some summary query about the summary data
- test status (success, failure, maybe what it failed on)

This information ought to get stowed [somewhere] in machine parsable
form.  Indeed, I imagine it might be a good idea to have it as some
set of SQL statements so that we could more or less blindly load it
into a database with a particular schema.

Should we pass in an environment variable to indicate a file to
populate with SQL statements?  Or perhaps a directory?

Do we need some GUID-like identifier for each test?  That might make a
good filename to stow some SQL statements in...

Am I missing things?

I'm sort of brain-dumping the obvious questions that are coming to
mind; am I missing any obvious things?
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ca.afilias.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
<http://dba2.int.libertyrms.com/>