Andrew Hammond andrew.george.hammond at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 12:05:37 PDT 2007
There are plenty of options for handling log rotation. Apache's
rotatelogs works well. Personally I use DJB's multilog (as part of a
daemontools approach). If you're interested in using daemontools,
check out the tools/slon-mkservice.sh script (currently only in CVS /
the 1.2.10 pre-release tarballs).

If you're already using logrotate, then I guess I could see sticking
with it. I don't see any good reason to pick it over the alternatives
for a first install though. I think that any solution that requires
copytruncate is poorly conceived, since the algorithm wastes IO. If
you must use logrotate, I'd consider simply killing and restarting the
slon as part of your rotation process.

Andrew