Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Fri Jul 6 09:12:58 PDT 2007
On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 08:20:35AM -0700, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> disfavor by using shell expression substution etc, I have a feeling that
> there are a fair number of people exploring slony who are not as familiar
> with the world of shell as they ought to be to inorder to understand what is
> going on in here.

I think that's possibly true.

> I think we would be better off using the define and
> include features to make this all a bit more end user
> friendly/understandable.   Thoughts?

I also think that _might_ make things better, although it's by no
means plain to me that someone who doesn't understand shell
substitution will understand define and include features, either.

I think the _real_ problem lies elsewhere: the administration
functions for Slony remain extremely hacky.  I suspect we need
something much shinier to make this easy to use.  The problem I have
in suggesting how to do that is that _I_ find command line tools
easier (I type this from a Mac with at least 6 terminal windows open,
and three or four Aquamacs windows to boot).  Probably someone with a
stronger UI leaning would be more helpful.  Anyone?

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
		--Dennis Ritchie