Dan Falconer lists_slony1-general
Mon Jan 29 15:39:51 PST 2007
	PREFACE: I've got replication running on 5 databases.  On the largest, most
active database ("pl"), I've setup the replication cluster's name to be
"pl_replication".  On the other four, I've setup the cluster's name as
"replication".  For each of the databases, I've got a configuration file,
"conf/slon_tools-[dbname].conf" (thus, the config file for the aforementioned
"pl" database is "conf/slon_tools-pl.conf").  The situation I'm about to
explain happens on both servers (1 master, 1 slave), running on Slony 1.1.0
and 1.2.6.  The servers, if it makes any difference (they're *identical*):
	* dual opteron 846 procs
	* 8G ram
	* SLES 8.1 (yeah, it's old)

	On the "pl_replication" cluster, running:
	./bin/slon_kill \ --config=conf/slon_tools-pl.conf [eitherNode]"
works just fine, killing only the slons on the current node for
pl_replication.  However, when I attempt to do the same thing for *any* of
the databases that are part of the "replication" cluster, it kills *ALL* of
the slon daemons (on the given node), regardless if they're attached to the
specified database or not.

	At first, I'd thought that maybe our previous DBA had incorrectly
broken-apart the replication sets, and that all of the four databases for the
"replication" cluster were in fact supposed to have the same slon daemons.
After some testing, however--I had plenty of time to do that, since the SAN
attached to both of the DB's took a crap--I found that this does not *appear*
to be the case.  The only way that slony will actually replicate data for
each of these databases is if each one is init'ed, slonned, sets created, and
everyone is subscribed.

	So, I guess the question is: Am I missing something, or is slon_kill borken?
--
Best Regards,

Dan Falconer
"Head Geek",