Alan Acosta zagato.gekko
Mon Jan 22 06:16:45 PST 2007
Hello, I'm new in Slony, I'm now running the database for the web
application with one successful Slony Salve.
I'm trying to read and understand the messages that are coming from the
list, i want to say that you know a lot of :D :D :D.
I want to compare Slony against PGCluster because i don't found differences
between PGPoll+Slony Vs PGCluster, except may be the random values that i
don't understand fully (Can give me an example please :-P)....

If i have
Function Load Balancing Since PGCluster is the synchronous replication of a
multi-master, it can acquire the same value even if it refers to different
Cluster DB. It is very suitable for load balancing for reference system.  When
the load of an updating process is high, you may use partial replication
feature to decentralize the load.  Problem Handling Cluster server can be
set up three or more machines. When a problem occurs in Cluster DB, loader
balancer and a replication server will be separated from that machine, and
continues service using the other Cluster DBs.  Several replication server
can be set up. When an problem occurs at the replication server, Cluster DB
automatically changes connection to the standing-by replication server.  When
all replication servers stop, Cluster DB operates in stand-alone mode. There
are two modes for stand-alone mode: read only mode which only permits
references, and read write mode, which permits updating.  Several loader
balancer can be set up, however, they will not have the problem detection
and switching over functions that the loader balancer itself has.
Recovery When
the Cluster DBs were started with a recovery option, it will come back to a
replication system after taking the synchronization to master DB's data. If
there are three or more Cluster DBs, a query can be processed without
stopping service during recovery.  Replication Query-based The replication
is done in query-based method.  COPY Since data read from the COPY (FROM)
command are also replicated, the backup files which were created by pg_dump
can also be replicated.  NOW( ) When inserting the present time data with a
NOW function (ex. the NOW function is contained in the query, or the default
value of a table is being set to 'NOW'), that values will also be
replicated. The time will be the time of a replication server.  NEXTVAL( ),
SETVAL( ) The sequence operation function (nextval, setval) will be
replicated.  Serial type Since the order of INSERT processing is controlled
to become the same in each Cluster DB, serial type data is synchronized as
well.  Stored procedure The stored procedure accompanied by data update is
replicated.  Large Object The data of large object is replicated.  OID The
OID is replicated only the large object.in PGCluster 1.3
(http://pgcluster.projects.postgresql.org/1_3/index.html
).

So, why i need to use Slony,or better, when i want to use it ? and Are the
random values the most important issue ?, Nobody know why PGCluster doesn't
replicate correctly ?

Apologize for my ugly English :-p

Farewell.
Alan Acosta