Christian Storm storm
Wed Jan 17 12:27:28 PST 2007
Mark,

I would recommend reading the pgsql performance link I've included
below.  You can see that I too was flirting with pgmemcache.  The two
issues that prevented me from using it were

1) The race condition that exists when the memcache and postgres data
are out of sync and
2) The integrity of the data in the cache

The thought is that a new PG feature, an ON COMMIT trigger (there is
some debate, at least in my mind, whether BEFORE and/or AFTER COMMIT
would be useful), or ON PREPARED TRANSACTION, would solve both these
problems given PG's MVCC model.  The race condition would be greatly
diminished since PG and memcache would be updated nearly at the same
time.  Also, if the transaction failed the cache wouldn't be updated.

Unfortunately, this doesn't exist, so to me pgmemcache has limited
use unless you believe all your transactions will always succeed and
you don't care about race conditions.

Hopefully that helps you in your decision.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/pgsql.performance/browse_frm/
thread/f345107f382a7aee?tvc=1&q=pgmemcache&hl=en

Christian