Darcy Buskermolen darcy
Tue Jan 9 08:56:07 PST 2007
On Tuesday 09 January 2007 07:46, Largo Stemper wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> Can someone help me by giving me a briefing listing the disadvantages of
> SLONY-I.

When you say disadvantages, I suppose you meant limitations.   Some of the
limitations of Slony-I are, it does not automagicly replicate commands that
are DDL such as ALTER TABLE,  CREATE USER,  CREATE INDEX etc.  However it
does provide the functionality to do this by using the slonik command EXECUTE
SCRIPT.  Also it does not replicate large objects.   Slony-I is not
multimaster.  Being async, and with the way it works interally it may not be
particulary well suited to database work that involves long running
transactions.   Given slony uses triggers to capture DML
(INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE) on replicated objects it does incur additional
processing and disk overhead.