Andrew Sullivan ajs
Thu Jan 4 13:19:18 PST 2007
For the archives:

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 06:21:41PM -0500, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> Couldn't I just generate a set of files to hand to COPY on each node,
> populate the table that way, then set the sequence numbers up
> correctly, add the indexes, and be ready to go?  Or is there
> something I am overlooking in my excitement to speed up my
> application migration so much?

Yes, of course, there is: COPY invokes triggers, contrary to what I
was thinking when I wrote that.  For some reason, I thought that COPY
did not invoke triggers.  I think I must have conflated rules and
triggers, because COPY can't invoke rules just because there's no SQL
to change the parse tree of.

This might still be possible by futzing with the stored procedures
enabling replication, but that seems less like the quick win I was
hoping for.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.  What do you do sir?
		--attr. John Maynard Keynes