Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Fri Dec 21 20:53:17 PST 2007
Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> writes:
>> 2.  To have 1 cluster, where there are 12 nodes and 11
>> subscriptions. This feels like it has fewer "moving parts" than the
>> "11 cluster"
>> approach.
>
> I don't see how this would work. I guess I'm stuck on the single
> MASTERNODE value in the slon_tools.conf file.  Wouldn't all 11
> subscriptions be subscribed to a single database? I'll have to put
> some thought to this approach.

There isn't a way (not an easy one, anyways) to use the "altperl"
tools to do this.

You need to drop the idea that you're using those tools if you go down
this road.

I'm not sure what to use as an analogy here.  Perhaps the following
isn't too painful?

In the Windows world, you can use VB (or VB.NET) to write some limited
set of kinds of graphical applications.  If you need to build some
wacky specialized widget, VB may not be able to support you.  You'd be
forced to use the underlying APIs, probably in C++.

The analogy falls down a bit there - jumping from the frying pan of
"what some pre-cooked framework can do" to the fire of "ew - direct
coding via C++ APIs" is a lot worse than jumping from "what altperl
slony tools support" to "what handcoded slonik can do."  Handcoded
slonik scripts aren't particularly heinous :-).

>> If you're doing things that are this esoteric, don't expect the
>> 'simplified tools' to work for you.  You'll need to write slonik scripts
>> "by hand."  Fortunately, it's not a severely complex language - it's
>> pretty simple to write such scripts.  (At least, the language is
>> simple...)
>
> This is what I'm working on right now.  The nice thing is that the
> scripts send the output to standard out, so I can take that output
> produced, save it, tweek it for the next database and so on.

That will take you a fair ways.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'linuxfinances.info';
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/internet.html