Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Tue Dec 11 14:03:08 PST 2007
"Josh Harrison" <joshques at gmail.com> writes:
> Hi
> Im a newbie to slony.
> I installed slony and im trying tis example given in this website.
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7834
> I created the databases as mentioned and the website says...
> "  Once the databases are created, we are ready to create our database cluster containing a master and a single slave. Create the Slonik cluster_setup.sh script
> and execute it. "
> My question is
> Where should I create this Slonik cluster_setup.sh script and how to execute it?

As long as you have PATH defined to have psql/slon/slonik in it, it
doesn't much matter where you create the script.

In practice, we have found it a useful thing to create a directory
structure somewhere on our systems to organize the scripts used for
various system maintenances, so that we might have:

mkdir -p $HOME/slony/2007-10-03-create-cluster-foo
mkdir -p $HOME/slony/2007-10-06-create-cluster-bar
mkdir -p $HOME/slony/2007-11-15-upgrade-cluster-bar
mkdir -p $HOME/slony/2007-12-10-failover-cluster-foo

where each of those directories has scripts relevant to the activity
in it.

In our environment, we often use the RT/3 ticketing system to manage
these procedures, so the directory name might contain a ticket number
to make it easy to crossreference between files and tickets.

It's really a matter of organizing work activity; Slony-I doesn't
force you into any of this.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "cbbrowne.com")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/linuxxian.html