Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Wed Dec 5 10:31:10 PST 2007
On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 09:33:34AM -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 11:31:15PM -0200, postgres at dac.e4ward.com wrote:
>
> > Anyway... suppose I don't have the choice (which I have) and have to
> > work with rails + slony.  Could you provide an opinion other than
> > drop rails?
>
> You *always* have options, including about where you work.

Fights about the value of things like Rails aside (and I'm afraid I have to
agree with important parts of what David said -- especially the bit about
the preposterous nature of the application "owning" the data store), one of
the _explicit_ limitations of Slony is that it does not support DDL
performed by the client.  Jan has frequently argued that clients who change
their database schema are engaging in self-modifying code.  If Rails wants
to do that sort of thing, bully for them, but Slony's approach may make it a
bad fit for your use case.