Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Fri Aug 24 09:21:40 PDT 2007
On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 09:54:28AM -0500, Dan Falconer wrote:

> I kinda saw that one coming.  Hopefully I can convince all the other
> cheiftains that it's a good idea.   The good news is I can then finally test
> how it works to switch master while upgrading.  Woot.

Upgrading to a minor release is very close to never a bad idea.  The
community thinks it is riskier to stay on an old minor release than
not to do.  See http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning

> be cool).  The logs had a combined total of 20+ million records (5M in
> sl_log_1, 15M in sl_log_2)... it was 4 days behind, so I killed replication
> completely: dropped the replication schema on both servers, re-init,
> create/subscribe set.

I don't know if that was worth doing.  Often what do _do_ need,
however, is to kill the slons and VACUUM ANALYSE the log tables.
you'll get in trouble with long-running slony applier transactions
otherwise.

And yes, when catching up, you want to set the snapshot size _much_
larger.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
		--Philip Greenspun