David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 17:23:26 PDT 2007
On 8/1/07, Jeff Frost <jeff at frostconsultingllc.com> wrote:
> <stdin>:17: PGRES_FATAL_ERROR load '$libdir/xxid'; - ERROR: incompatible
> library "/usr/lib64/pgsql/xxid.so": missing magic block
>
> Except, I don't know why it's looking in /usr/lib64/pgsql because this is a 32
> bit CentOS 4.3 machine.  I double checked that the i686 versions of postgres
> are installed, slony was compiled from source against /usr/bin/pg_config which
> correctly outputs that libdir is /usr/lib/pgsql:
> PKGLIBDIR = /usr/lib/pgsql
>
> What am I missing?  Is there a special procedure for using Postgresql-8.2.4?
>
> It yielded the same results with slony 1.2.8 and 1.2.9.  But, 1.2.10 is working
> fine with postgresql-8.1.9 which we reverted to.

Weird. I haven't seen that before, but I haven't been using slony for
that long, either. I have multiple servers running a combination of
CentOS 4.5 (32bit & 64bit), CentOS 5 and Fedora Core 6 using
PostgreSQL 8.2.4 and Slony 1.2.10.

I've also upgraded PostgreSQL from a previous 8.2.x version as well as
Slony from a previous 1.2.x version on them without any issues.

When you upgrade, are you recompiling/reinstalling both Postgres and
also Slony against the upgraded Postgres? I suspect that you may be
missing the Slony modules in your Postgres install.

When I upgrade I put Postgres / Slony into a unique directory for each
build (for example /usr/local/pgsql-8.2.4-2007080101 and
/usr/local/slony-1.2.10-2007080101) and then symlink that folder to
the same folder name without the version so I don't have to bother
updating paths and startup scripts.

When updating a minor version of pgsql I haven't had to
recompile/reinstall slony as long as I remember to copy the slony
modules over to the new pgsql directory.

I also notice that you're not fully updated with CentOS, is there a
reason you're not fully updated to CentOS 4.5? I doubt this has
anything to do with your issue, but it can't hurt.

-Dave