Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Thu Apr 19 08:48:46 PDT 2007
On Apr 19, 2007, at 9:51 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> means impossible -- we added 12 million rows to a table just the
> other day, and it caught up in well under an hour (mind, we had
> rather more hardware to throw at the problem than you do.  But
> still).

This is the key -- the hardware....

I also find that index bloat on large tables causes replication
slowness.  One time what I did was take the replica off production
service, reindexed the big tables, then let slony catch up and
restored service.   Prior to reindex, the hardware couldn't keep up
with the massive need for seeking, etc.

Also, you might try dropping some indexes which your replica doesn't
need (indexes can be different per node and are not necessary to
control via 'execute script' commands.