Michal Taborsky - Internet Mall michal.taborsky at mall.cz
Thu Apr 19 03:43:13 PDT 2007
Hello everyone.

We have a pretty simple setup. Two servers, one database replicated from
master to slave, everything in one replication set, about 200 tables.
Slony version is 1.2.9, PostgreSQL version is 8.1.5.

We loaded "a bit" of data into one of the tables on master, about 6
million records. Which generated 6 million sl_log_1 rows. The problem
now is, that the slon on slave issues a "fetch 100 from LOG;" command,
which takes about 2 minutes to complete! The servers are loaded, but not
overloaded (they are both dual-dual-core Xeons with 4G RAM).

Thre replication is virtually stopped at the moment, the sl_log_1 is
growing bigger and bigger, because the primary server does some OLTP work.

Can anything be done to remedy this? The problem obviously is with the
FETCH, but I thought there were supposed to be some indexes on that
table to speed-up this.

The primary server may not be taken offline. The secondary could be, but
only as a last resort, if there are no other ways.

Thanks for any ideas.

--
Michal Táborský