David Fetter david at fetter.org
Thu Apr 5 09:11:38 PDT 2007
On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 12:52:06AM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> I had a chat with Jan about some of the forthcoming changes we're
> thinking about for the next major version...
>
> In general, there's a thought of doing a fairly *enormous* amount of
> cleanup, falling fundamentally out of the presence of hooks in PG 8.3
> that will allow Slony-I to work without any of the current catalog
> corruptions.  The cleanup we're thinking of is of extensive enough
> nature that it might even be that "version 2.0" would only work with
> PG 8.3 'and above.'
>
> The scope of that, in total, I'll let Jan comment on, so as to allow
> debate on the merits of that.
>
> I'll draw back to a rather smaller, but not unimportant, matter...
>
> My position at this point is that dropping the "TABLE ADD KEY" feature
> is highly desirable.

+1 on dropping it.  This is a case where "helping" people to shoot
themselves in the foot really isn't helping them.

Cheers,
David Fetter <david at fetter.org> http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate