Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Fri Sep 22 08:08:04 PDT 2006
"Dave Page" <dpage at vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> Unfortunately I found a bug in CVS tip earlier that prevented
> compilation of Slony on Windows with PostgreSQL 8.2. I've corrected
> the bug but it meant that I had to regenerate the configure
> script. I've tested on Linux and Windows and all seems OK, but it's
> probably worth any testers double checking on their platforms as
> we're so close to release.

Just to be clear about the nature of the resolution...  Tell me if I'm
misunderstanding things...

- The Windows issue required patches to config/acx_libpq.m4 and
  makefiles/Makefile.win32, which I see in the patch

- You then regenerated configure

If that's the story, I don't see any grand problem with that.  You
used version 2.59, when the last "gen" I did used 2.60.  I now have
2.60a installed (apparently that was released in late August); based
on the NEWS file for autoconf, there shouldn't be any grand issues
about compatibility.

Per NEWS.Debian:
  This package should be largely compatible with older Autoconf
  releases back to 2.50, and especially with 2.59.

What's unfortunate is that any little change in the m4 code combined
with variations in autoconf versions has pretty inordinately large
effects on the contents of ./configure

It's worth doing some extra builds to double-check that everything
compiles, but I don't see this requiring any sort of "full test
cycle."  It works fine for me on my dev box (Debian/Linux, IA-32)...

We normally regen configure when a new build goes out, so I think no
big deal.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ca.afilias.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
<http://dba2.int.libertyrms.com/>