David Fetter david
Tue Sep 19 08:40:14 PDT 2006
On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 04:28:45PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

My mistake.

> > > Mine is running Vale Housing's servers.  I'll back up Marc as
> > > far as the postgresql.org resources are concerned but neither I,
> > > nor anyone else can be expected to know his systems as well as
> > > he does and it is inevitable
> >
> > No, it's not.
>
> Why? Do you think you could come here and fix a problem with our
> mail relays more quickly than I could?

It's not inevitable.  His failure to delegate is what makes it
currently be so.

> > It's not about "as quickly," it's about Marc's refusal to take the
> > appropriate steps now that the project is much bigger than he has
> > any idea how to deal with.  He consistently refuses to delegate,
> > and does not answer hard questions.  This is the behavior of a
> > petulant spoiled brat, not an infrastructure provider, and it's
> > important to the PostgreSQL project in general and Slony-I in
> > particular that our stability not be subject to his whims.
>
> Yes, it has been that way in the past, however that is changing as
> the problem has become apparent, and has changed a number of times
> in the past as we've added more people with adminitrative access to
> different servers.  Don't forget, we do use the -core list
> occasionally, as well as other channels of communication so just
> because something hasn't been announced on -www doesn't mean it
> hasn't happened. :-).

Great.  Tell us about what happens when Marc gets hit by a bus, or
goes camping for 2 weeks.  Tell everybody, because this secrecy
business is a crock of shit.

> > In fact, we can do just that.  Part of the deal of becoming a
> > provider is that you agree to certain terms, which we can spell
> > out.
>
> We don't have the luxury of being that selective.  It's not like we
> have people clawing at the gates to give us free servers, power and
> bandwidth.

As a matter of fact, we have exactly those things.  Commandprompt is
one, and Stefan Kaltenbrunner's outfit is another.  We could easily
get more from Greenplum and eDB, too.

Cheers,
David Fetter <david at fetter.org> http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!