John Sidney-Woollett johnsw
Tue Sep 19 05:54:06 PDT 2006
James, these are from some notes I made about building test databases
from a dump of a live (master) database with slony installed:

Clear the replication information: Be VERY careful in trying to clear
the replication information from the newly imported database. The
replication information is cleared in two stages:

  1. delete all records from _{clustername}.SL_TABLE and
_{clustername}.SL_SEQUENCE
  2. then use a slonik script to remove the remainder of the replication
information

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/slonik ? _END_

# define the cluster namespace
cluster name = {clustername};

# define two nodes connection information
node 1 admin conninfo = ?dbname={yournewdatabase} host={newdatabasehost}
user=postgres?;

# uninstall the first node and cluster
uninstall node (id=1);

_END_

IMPORTANT: Make sure the the connection string is to the postgres
instance/cluster holding the new database you just imported, and not to
the one the dump file came from!

Replace {clustername}, {yournewdatabase} and {newdatabasehost} by your
appropriate values for your new database.

Can't guarantee that the above will work for you, but it has always done
so for me in the past.

John