Andrew Sullivan ajs
Fri Oct 27 10:19:55 PDT 2006
On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 03:42:02PM +0100, Kenn Priest wrote:
> find any kind of road map document for Slony. Does one exist?

No.  There probably should be.  Usually there's a list of features
that people want.  I think the main one these days in Slony is
"automatic DDL support".

> Are there any plans for mult-master replication, now that Slony2 appears
> to be dead?

Not with Slony-I, no.

> Will Slony1 be ported to Vista and Longhorn? What are the likely
> timescales?

This depends entirely on someone being willing to do the work and
test it.  I expect the answer is yes, but I can't promise anything,
because I don't use Windows anywhere.

> Is a watchdog recommended for windows? Does one exist?

AFAIK the usual watchdog works as well on Windows as anywhere else.
And yes, I recommend using it.

> How do I backup the master and slave databases?

Back up the master with pg_dump.  There's a special utility that
ships with slony that allows you to back up a replica.  It _does not_
allow you to back up the slave so that you would not have to rebuild
were it to break.

BTW, don't forget that you need to think of this in terms of "origin
tables" and "replica tables".  Slony only works on "databases" in so
far as they are sets of tables.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
		--Dennis Ritchie