Victoria Parsons victoria.parsons
Mon Oct 9 09:09:51 PDT 2006
I hope someone can help me.

I had some down time between master and slave (about 3 days). The slon daemons all run from the machine that for this database is the slave. I.E. during this downtime no slon was running on the master.

It sounds just like the problem reported in the FAQ as detailed below.

16. The slon spent the weekend out of commission [for some reason], and it's taking a long time to get a sync through.

You might want to take a look at the sl_log_1 <http://developer.postgresql.org/~wieck/slony1/adminguide-1.1.rc1/table.sl-log-1.html> /sl_log_2 <http://developer.postgresql.org/~wieck/slony1/adminguide-1.1.rc1/table.sl-log-2.html>  tables, and do a summary to see if there are any really enormous Slony-I transactions in there. Up until at least 1.0.2, there needs to be a slon <http://developer.postgresql.org/~wieck/slony1/adminguide-1.1.rc1/slon.html>  connected to the origin in order for SYNC events to be generated.

If none are being generated, then all of the updates until the next one is generated will collect into one rather enormous Slony-I transaction.

Conclusion: Even if there is not going to be a subscriber around, you really want to have a slon running to service the origin node.

Slony-I 1.1 provides a stored procedure that allows SYNC counts to be updated on the origin based on a cron job even if there is no slon <http://developer.postgresql.org/~wieck/slony1/adminguide-1.1.rc1/slon.html>  daemon running.

The answer to the FAQ is right. The sl_log_1 table has 620000 entries, event though it only has 170 events to catch up from this period (read from sl_status). I appreciate the advice for next time to run the generate_syncs script on the master. However, is there any way I can now sort out my replication so it can start catching up.

I ran the slon daemons with extra debug and I can see it has started processing the first sync. An hour later nothing seems to be happening but I am hoping it is still working on that first sync. Is all can do just sit back and wait?

Thanks,
Vicki

This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this
email in error please notify the sender and destroy it immediately.
Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy
by an authorized signatory.