Andrew Sullivan ajs
Tue May 16 04:00:22 PDT 2006
On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 05:12:32PM -0700, Marc Munro wrote:
> I guess the unusual thing I am doing from slony's perspective is
> combining a bunch of ddlscript commands with normal slony-logged dml
> operations.  The time that I can guarantee to get the error is after a
> fairly long-running (several seconds) series of ddl.  Interestingly, the
> duplicate log record has already appeared (been comitted) at the
> subscriber while the dml still appears to be running.
>
> Is this an absolute no-no, have I stumbled upon a bug, or am I just
> being dense and missing something?

I suspect you're right that there's a race here: the entire approach
to DDL is really intended to be used in the context of EXECUTE
SCRIPT, which is a pretty big hammer.  It appears you're trying to
make it lighter by calling it in the context of your transaction, and
I suspect that just won't work.  In particular, if you have things
that need to be propogated from your DDL before replication resumes,
the usual thing to add is a WAIT FOR EVENT.  That's probably why
you're having trouble.  Slony is built on the assumption that DDL
changes are infrequent and part of maintenance, whereas you have an
application where they're fairly regular.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
                --Brad Holland